Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Metroland. London: Vintage, 2016. Pp. 203  + . 21.6 x 13.5 cm. ISBN: 9781784705916. £9.99.
Special Archive Edition with a new introduction by Julian Barnes. The archive material features letters and reviews pertaining to the novel Metroland:
- Letter from Sheila McIlwraith at AD Peters Writers’ Agents submitting manuscript to Tom Maschler at Jonathan Cape.
- First report on the manuscript (initials XH)
- Second report on the manuscript (initials CC)
- Letter from Julian Barnes outlining his edits to Liz Calder his editor
- Deleted scene from the first draft of the manuscript
- Letter from Julian Barnes to Tony Colwell, the art director responsible for the book jacket
- Letter from Philip Larkin to Julian Barnes
- Letter from Dodie Smith to Julian Barnes
The book’s graphic design is based on London Underground seat fabrics. For more on the design on the Vintage Blog: http://vintagebooksdesign.tumblr.com/post/151283886571/metroland-julianbarnes
Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Something to Declare: Essays on France and French Culture. New York: Vintage International, 2003. Pp. 295 + . 20.3 x 13.1 cm. ISBN: 1400030870.
This title was originally published as a paperback in the U.K. by Picador and in hardback in the U.S. by Alfred A. Knopf. This edition is the first U.S. paperback. The copyright page incorrectly states the book was “published in hardcover in Great Britain by Picador, London”, whereas the cover is actually made of stiff card. The copyright page also lists the specific publication date as “September 2003”.
Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Nothing to Be Frightened Of. New York: Vintage International, 2008. Pp. 243  + . 20.3 x 13 cm. ISBN: 9780307389985. $15.00.
First edition U.S. paperback of Julian Barnes’s Nothing to Be Frightened Of. Cover design by Megan Wilson.
Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Through the Window: Seventeen Essays and a Short Story. New York: Vintage International, 2012. Pp. 243 + . 20.2 x 13 cm.
Stated on top of cover: “THIS IS AN UNCORRECTED PROOF”. Includes a tentative publication date of October 30, 2012.
Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Pulse: Stories. New York: Vintage International, 2012. Pp. 227 + . 20.2 x 13 cm. ISBN: 9780307742407.
First American edition with “First Vintage International Edition, Feburary 2012” printed to the copyright page. Paper covers with book design by Michael Appuhn.