Notes on this edition: Julian Barnes. Metroland. London: Vintage, 2016. Pp. 203  + . 21.6 x 13.5 cm. ISBN: 9781784705916. £9.99.
Special Archive Edition with a new introduction by Julian Barnes. The archive material features letters and reviews pertaining to the novel Metroland:
- Letter from Sheila McIlwraith at AD Peters Writers’ Agents submitting manuscript to Tom Maschler at Jonathan Cape.
- First report on the manuscript (initials XH)
- Second report on the manuscript (initials CC)
- Letter from Julian Barnes outlining his edits to Liz Calder his editor
- Deleted scene from the first draft of the manuscript
- Letter from Julian Barnes to Tony Colwell, the art director responsible for the book jacket
- Letter from Philip Larkin to Julian Barnes
- Letter from Dodie Smith to Julian Barnes
The book’s graphic design is based on London Underground seat fabrics. For more on the design on the Vintage Blog: http://vintagebooksdesign.tumblr.com/post/151283886571/metroland-julianbarnes